I used to travel quite a bit. Whether it was visiting friends, going to New York for business, or seeing family. I always managed to pack everything I needed in one carry-on bag. I was so terrified that my luggage would get lost. And like most women I packed my favorite, just bought clothes, shoes and accessories. No way was I letting that out of my sight!!
So how did I get everything in one suitcase. Well it takes some prep work. First of all you can’t pack everything you own. You need to take the time to try on your clothes and come up with outfits. I would say an outfit for each day. Also think about ways you can mix and match what you are bringing. A three day trip, you should have three outfits, no more no less. And to be clear this is for trips that are shorter periods of time. If you are gone for a month…this ain’t for you. Although the same principles should be applied.
Six Tips to help you get it all in one bag:
1. Bring a pair of great fitting jeans that you can wear during the day with flats or going out at night with heels. If you don’t wear jeans, then pack a great pair of black pants that also can be dressed up or down.
2. Bring one pair of flats and one pair of heels. If you are packing boots or bulky wedges, try and wear those on the plane and pack your smaller shoes in the carry-on.
3. Bring lots of accessories. Accessories take up hardly any space and can transform any outfit. So pack those earrings, bracelets, necklaces, scarves, belts… you name it.
4. Don’t pack what the hotel will already provide for you (Shampoo, Conditioner, Hair dryer, etc). If you are staying with family and friends even better!
5. Wear your bulkiest items on the plane. Don’t try and pack you coat, jacket, sweater in a carry-on it will take up half the space.
6. Bring a larger “purse” for the plane (i.e I always travel with my LV neverfull or the large Longchamp) this allows you to bring any extra (smaller) items that didn’t fit in your carry-on. For example: I always carry my make up in my purse. I also bring a small, flat clutch or small handbag that I can take out at night.